If you are a passionate runner or jogger, the chances are you experienced metatarsalgia. This issue is also called a ball of the foot pain and it can be extremely annoying. That is why we are looking for the best shoe for metatarsal pain that will provide relief for your feet.
Before we dig into the reviews, we will explain a couple of things about metatarsalgia. You will discover what causes it and how you can help yourself solve the issue. The article will also provide a detailed insight into the features you need to look for, as well as reviews of the top shoe choices for metatarsalgia currently available.
- 1 Why Do We Experience Metatarsal Pain?
- 2 Reviews - What Is the Best Shoe for Metatarsal Pain?
- 2.1 New Balance Men's Mx608v4 Training Shoe
- 2.2 Oofos Unisex Ooriginal Thong Flip Flop
- 2.3 Brooks Men's Addiction Walker Walking Shoes
- 2.4 Asics Men's Gel-venture 6 Running Shoe
- 2.5 Orthofeet Orthopedic Leather Slippers for Women – Charlotte
- 2.6 Dansko Women's Professional Mule
- 2.7 Asics Women's Gel-venture 5 Running Shoe
- 2.8 Saucony Women's Cohesion 9 Running Shoe
- 2.9 Ryka Women's Sky Walking Shoe
- 2.10 Skechers Performance Women's Go Walk 4 Kindle Slip-on Walking Shoe
- 3 Final Words
Why Do We Experience Metatarsal Pain?
If you experienced pain in the ball of your foot before, you know uncomfortable it can be. Have you ever wondered what caused it? Here is a list of possible reasons:
- Not wearing comfortable footwear – The truth is that this is the most common cause of metatarsalgia. In most cases, the shoes you are wearing are too snug.
- Not wearing proper footwear - For example, you might use walking shoes for long running sessions. Keep in mind that there is not a single type of footwear appropriate for your problem. You need a shoe for metatarsal pain, but you also need it to serve the right purpose.
- Harsh training regime – If you haven’t had a lot of exercise lately you should avoid heavy workload during working out. Just like any other part of your body, you need to slowly ease your feet into the routine
Getting older – as we age, the fat layer on the bottom that protects our feet nerves will wear out. As this layer gets thinner, your nerves will get more exposed and that may cause metatarsalgia.
- Getting older – as we age, the fat layer on the bottom that protects our feet nerves will wear out. As this layer gets thinner, your nerves will get more exposed and that may cause metatarsalgia .
Other causes of metatarsal pain might include stiff ankle or stress fracture. You can try with the tips below, but if the problem is persistent, it might be wise to consult your doctor.
Tips on Relieving Ball of Foot Pain
Choose the Right Footwear
Sometimes it takes you years to see that you have been destroying your feet for years with wrong shoes. The chances are that you already felt metatarsal pain once you realize this. Relieving metatarsalgia starts with choosing proper footwear. The first thing you want to do is to pick the right purpose – you can choose between running or walking shoes or clogs, slippers and flip-flops to wear inside.
Aside from that, you have to ensure that the shoes you wear are not tight. If you feel they are too snug, the chances are you will experience metatarsalgia again very soon.
Lose Some Weight
Sorry to break this to you, but there is a chance that the pain at the ball of your foot might be due to those extra pounds you gained over the holidays. It is quite simple actually – if you shed some pounds, there will be less stress on your feet. Healthy nutrition is an excellent way to lose some weight and it will benefit your overall well-being.
Best Shoe for Metatarsal Pain – Detailed Buying Guide
Not every shoe can help alleviate metatarsal pain. That is why you need to be careful when selecting the right model for your needs. Here are some of the features you would want to think about:
The ball of the foot is, in most cases, the primary source of pain. That is why one of your primary concerns when choosing the best shoe for metatarsal pain should be inner sole. Air cushioning or gel should be two choices that you can’t go wrong with. EVA also molds to your feet shape, while PU cushioning can provide decent comfort if your budget is limited.
This is particularly important if you are a runner. You want to feel comfortable while running which is why you should purchase shoes that are as light as possible. Of course, you need to ensure that the material is both durable and comfortable at the same time.
You might buy the best running shoes for metatarsalgia pain out there, but they won’t help alleviate the pain if you get the wrong size. We assume that you already know which size are you and that is why we want to pinpoint another thing that might help when choosing. You want to ensure that your feet will have enough space for breathing and moving. That is why you should choose shoes that are in any way narrow. Make sure that you are comfortable when you try them on.
Once again, comfort should be your top priority. Aside from that, you need reliable lug patterns when the rainy weather comes. You don’t want to risk worsening your injury because you slipped while running when it is raining. When it comes to materials, synthetics are a smart pick for outer sole.
Reviews - What Is the Best Shoe for Metatarsal Pain?
|New Balance Men's Mx608v4||Navy/White||Leather||Rubber sole
|OOFOS Unisex Ooriginal Sport Thong Flip Flop||Black/Aqua||Synthetic||Synthetic sole
|Brooks Men's Addiction Walker Walking Shoes||Brown Suede||Leather||Synthetic sole
|ASICS Mens Gel-Venture 6 Running Shoe||Black/Phantom/Mid Grey||Synthetic||Rubber sole
|Orthofeet Plantar Fasciitis Flat Feet Diabetic Orthopedic Leather Charlotte Women's Arch Support Slippers||Light Brown||Suede Leather||Orthotic insole
|Dansko Women's Professional Mule||Script Patent||Leather||Polyurethrane sole
|ASICS Women's GEL-Venture 5 Running Shoe||Frost Gray/Silver/Soothing Sea||Synthetic||Rubber sole
|Saucony Women's Cohesion 9 Running Shoe||Silver/Navy/Teal||Mesh/Synthetic||Rubber sole
|Ryka Women's Sky Walking Shoe||Grey/Rose||Leather and Synthetic||Rubber sole
|Skechers Performance Women's Go Walk 4 Kindle Slip-On Walking Shoe||Black||Mesh||Rubber sole
We know that you are looking for the best shoe for metatarsal pain, but you should also consider how you will use your new shoe. Are you a passionate runner? In that case, you need running sneakers. However, if you want to focus on walking, you might need a different model. Perhaps you need a shoe that accommodates medical orthotics?
This article tried to help by covering all those options in the reviews. We did the footwork for you and singled out top-quality shoes in every area, including flip flops, clogs, and working shoes. Now it’s time for you to pick your favorite and order it to relieve yourself of the ball of the foot pain!