Right at this moment as I am writing this blog post, I’m coming back from an exciting Kayak fishing session. Now I have this feeling that everyone should feel this bass beat in their hearts. If you know how to fish in a Kayak, then move on. But as you clicked on this link, I’m presuming that you are interested to learn how to fish in a Kayak or how to keep fish in a Kayak.
If you're interested in buying a Tandem kayak then you may find the aforementioned link useful.
To fish in a Kayak efficiently, All you have to do is to follow these simple steps:
- Select Right Type of Kayak: Selecting the right type of kayak for fishing is mandatory. Smaller Kayaks are easier to maneuver and longer kayaks give more space for customization for fishing. Wider kayaks are more stable whereas narrower kayaks can be paddled faster on the water.
- Select Right Place for Fishing: There is hardly any limitations for places in Kayak fishing. Kayaks are very flexible in nature and can withstand any kind of environment or tide they are exposed to. Rather choice of place for kayak fishing might vary based on time duration, paddling ability and speed of the fisherman. A good fishing plan can compensate for low paddling ability or less covered water. A successful fishing does not actually depend upon the area covered, Rather on how planned and well-executed the process is.
- Transporting system for your kayak: Fishing Kayaks are not at all hard to transport from one place from another. A truck or pickup or foam car can be easily used. The most convenient method remains “Mother-ship”; In which the kayak is attached with a bigger boat and carried to the exact place of fishing.
- Wear water resistant suits: You should be ready to get soaked as you are real close to water. It’s better to wear a moisture wicking suit. It’s a kind of suit that gets dried quickly.
- Know How to Paddle properly: You have to practice proper paddling and using a paddle leash. A paddle leash secures your handle while fighting a fish. You would also need a well-manufactured seat for proper paddling.
- Fishing techniques: Position your boat in the right direction. Hold your rod in one hand and practice paddling with another. You will get better at this as the time progresses. Change your directions from port to starboard constantly to keep your kayak in the right direction. If you paddle into a matted vegetation, Upwind current can easily be avoided.
- How to fight fish from a kayak: Fighting a fish from a kayak is a strategic game. Even a 5 or 6lb fish can tow your kayak around. Don’t keep your tackle too tight and always keep the capacity high. A 20 lb test line should be around 200 yards of line. This can bring anything back to your boat, in case if you are not fishing off-shore or marine.
- Handling Fish on a kayak: If you are not intended to keep your fish, You must be careful about water in their grills so that enough Oxygen is supplied to their body. If you want to keep the small fishes, You can carry small ice bags with you in the Kayak. If the fish is larger in size, Just wrap a towel around its body to keep it fresh and free from slime.
- Safety measures: Always check the weather as it can be life threatening. Windy rough water is something you should watch out for. Only experienced kayakers are able to get out of this situation. An inflatable kayak is something really necessary for the user’s safety in adverse situations.
Kayak fishing provides you with eternal joy, mental peace and physical soundness. Try to incorporate these healthy fishing habits in your process of learning how to kayak fish so that your fishing becomes more efficient, risk-free and enjoyable.